Saturday 10 August 2013

Waistcoat 1

My niece turns 18 at the end of this month. Having asked her what she might want she said 'a waistcoat'.  Simple enough I guess. Starting point was to find a pattern. Being female she needs something with a bit of shape but so many waistcoats for women are incredibly girly (see New Look for my particular favourite in pink!) and she has a far more relaxed look - she's a jeans and trainers kind of gal.

And then I found this one in Burda Style magazine  ... Well found it online and as it's a back issue a quick trip to ebay got me the magazine! It does 'waistcoat' well, have a female shape to it without screaming 'I'm a girl!'

Onto the fabric shopping. It says to use an ottoman fabric. Well I'll be damed if I can find one. I did find an amzing knitted fabric that I thought might work but as it was £65 per metre  ... Yes, per metre  ... I felt that whilst I love my niece I don't love her that much. So have gone off-piste and am trying it with a cotton twill. We'll see if this agfects the drape I guess.

Anyway, first time making anything from one of these multi-pattern magazines. Having pulled out the pattern pages it looks like somone has gone crazy with some coloured pens. How the hell am I supposed to work with this? But thanks to the Male Pattern Boldness blog I tried highlight the pattern I want in the size I want with a felt pen, making it easier to trace. Et voila! Job done.

Phew!! Now onto the sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment